Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Snowflakes for Sandy Hook Elementary

With the return to school on Monday, there was an eerie silence that covered the school. Nerves were frazzled as people discussed the horrific event that occurred the previous Friday. Mothers held their babies a bit tighter when they dropped them off for school. I know that I loved on mine especially long and said a few extra prayers before sending them off to preschool. It also makes me want to squeeze my little niece who I've not seen in weeks. I needed to hear my mother and sister's voices. The weather was even gloomy yesterday as they laid the first two victims to rest. My comfort is in knowing that ALL of those babies had angels all around them during their last moments and that they are happily with the angels now. They are still being loved on, more than we can ever imagine.

Yesterday, I rethought my plans of what to do with my 180ish babies here at school if something were to happen. I would protect them with all of my might. I am thankful that we have had drills in the past at my school on what to do if this ever occurred, though you never can really know.


Today, it's the last day of school for the semester at my wonderful little middle school. We have very short art classes today (20-30 minutes). All of the portfolios are going or have gone home. My best friend in the world outside of my family, who I hardly ever see due to our families, jobs (she is the head of the archives at the Biltmore Estates), and the like, sent out an email to collect snowflakes to adorn the walls of the new school where the children of Sandy Hook will be attending soon. She gave me the address:

CT STATE PTSA
60 Connolly Parkway
Bldg 12, Suite 103
Hamden CT 06514
It will feel good for my students to know that they are doing something for those precious elementary school children and their families. Each of my students are unique, each of those babies and staff are/were unique, and each snowflake is unique. There is something that ties it all together. There are a few sites that can help you to make a snowflake if you choose to make one yourself. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you out there in blog-land. Thank you for letting me ramble.
http://www.zefrank.com/snowflake/ (you can make online snowflakes- not directions for cutting them)

No comments:

Post a Comment