Friday, January 17, 2014

Simple Things


“If you are only a teacher but not a student, then you are incomplete; if you are only a student but not a teacher, then you are incomplete! To be complete, you must be both student and teacher!” 
― Mehmet Murat ildan

This quote is so true. Sometimes our students teach us more about life than we could ever teach them. I have a few students who come to mind. For one, a precious student, whose name I shall not reveal, brought me a bouquet of flowers today. She bought them with her own money, and had her mother go by the store early this morning to get them.  She told me that it was "no big deal" and that they were "only $10"... that brought tears to my eyes. She said that she had gotten the money for Christmas. Yes, tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn't believe it. She then said, "I know that you love purple roses" (no one has bought me those in decades!!), but I couldn't afford those. This bouquet had two roses that were close to purple, so I chose them." The sheer fact that she thought of brightening someone else's day just made my heart smile. I had things going on in my life that, though not devastating, were hard to deal with. This student has challenges of her own to face, yet thought of me instead. Bless this child forever, and may she teach each of us the power of a simple good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment